Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dreams Of A Dark Warrior


***** 3.5 Stars Out Of 5 *****

"Dreams of a Dark Warrior" by Kresley Cole

Kresley Cole has undoubtedly penned one of my favorite paranormal romance series. The Immortal After Dark Series often makes me laugh, smile, frown, and curse in the duration of one book.

If you are new to this series, let me introduce you. Our world exists and secretly within it are Fae, Demons, Valkyrie, Vampires, Lykae, etc. The coexist not always in harmony. Each species tends to distrust and discriminate about the others. This series, being a paranormal romance, shows each character find her hero/mate/bride/wife.. etc etc. Hahahaha Often hilarity ensues, and fights are won. Through falling in love with those from other species, alliances are formed. Eventually sides must be taken when a war that will pit them against each other has to be fought... even though we aren't that far in the series.

On to the review:

After reading the first chapter on Kresley's website, I was really excited to read this. It seemed to have so much emotional potential. I couldn't wait for when it was released. Pre-order material.

The book started with a glimpse into the past of how Regin the Radiant and Aiden met. Regin was searching for her sister, Lucia. As a child and needing assistance she saught aid from Aiden the Fierce, a Berserker. Even with Regin being so young, Aiden claimed her for himself. He knew they were meant to be. To earn immortality, Aiden must win so many battles in Woden's name.. Regin's father. He refuses to bed Regin, wanting to earn her and eternity with her. Before eternity is won, Aiden is slain. Here comes the twist. He reincarnates and with every life he searches for Regin. Romantic, no? The problem is every time he finds her and remembers "them", he dies again.

This life he is reincarnated as Declan Chase. He hunts and gathers creatures of the Lore, inprisoning them on a secret undetectable island. On this island, everyone has a mystical collar preventing them from accessing their strength or power. Regin eventually recognizes Declan as Aiden and to tries to make him remember who he was, even though he will die. He hates creatures of the Lore. Will Regin find her happily ever after with a Berserker so damaged that he injects himself with drugs not to feel?

I wanted to love this story more, the only reason I didn't was because it spent the majority of the book with Regin trapped in the Immortal Prison on the Island. If you've read the IAD book before this one ("Demon From The Dark"), this book feels repetitive. Demon From The Dark takes place in this prison/island a large part of the book too. I felt like after 200 pages into it, I was still waiting for something to start happening. I really wanted soooooooo much more from this story. The back story of this couple created so much emotion. This encounter fell flat. As usual, I laughed out loud.. literally. Cole writes sarcarm so well. I love the world that Cole created. Each species is unique and special. Each character hilarious and powerful. There are no heriones waiting to be rescued. They are fully capable of rescuing themselves, thank you.

I was very pumped over learning more about Lothaire. This book added new characters that I hope to see again. It was a good book, but slow with the action. Oddly I felt like I figured out the end immediately into it. I literally KNEW that would happen to Declan at the end once Regin mentioned the 2 birds symbol. It literally instantly clicked into place, so I felt like it became a little predictable. I had no reason to continue. I had figured out the entire story. That was epically disappointing. I still LOVEEEEEEEE this series and characters. I love any and all appearences of Nix the Everknowing, and her pet bat.

Great series. Not that great of a book. I'm still a mega fan though. Kresley Cole writes amazing stories.

1 comment:

  1. OMG OMG OMG your blogging? Ive died of happiness just now!!

    ReplyDelete